Monday, February 14, 2011

Out of Ink

Has your well planned-out life ever taken a turn in a direction you never thought it would go?

I've been a designer my whole life.  From graphic design to interior design, and suddenly I find myself going down a whole new path called, social design!  Who would have thought there was even such a thing?  I mean, without stepping into the 'ol when I was a kid routine, I do remember when homes did NOT have computers.  And now computers fit into your pocket and travel with you around the world.
 
My careers seem to change as our technology and economy does.  And last year I laughed and told a friend I was going to be a professional facebooker.  It sounded so - naughty.  Not knowing that in just two months I would be accepting the position of "Social Media Administrator" for Trinity Home Design Center in New Haven, Indiana.  Where I soon discovered that e-mail and Facebook only scratched the surface of social design.

I jumped in head first.  Reading books and blogs.  Post and tweets.  Taking notes on social media marketing from the best of the best until I had a mile high stack of note cards and my pen ran out of ink.  Wading through what seemed like knee-deep egos that spewed out a language in short hand, full of acronyms I had no clue about - only to learn that I had so much more to learn.   I was just a full fledged newbie on the ground level again.  And THAT scared me. 

There exist within me a strength that comes from a source greater than me.  To be the best I can be.  To work hard and build the tallest building instead of just knocking all the others down.  So I stuck my fear on a shelf.  I organized those note cards and I refilled my pen.  I started this blog for experience, and I've put my very transparent thoughts "out there" for all to see.  Why a glass pen in the great age of computers?  Because words can hurt if written with a heavy hand.  But hey, that could be another blog.  Right?
  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first blog. Design has been a big part of your life as long as I've known you, and you are great at it. Would that more people look to there inner source (God, Spirituality, etc.) to guide them in all things, especially in business, as you have. What a more wonderful world this would be. Happy Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a well-planned life. Life takes so many twists and turns, it is near impossible to anticipate the changes, as you can go only one direction: Forward.

    Through the adverse weather conditions of life; road construction that puts some things in our life on hold; and detours to new and exotic places we wouldn't have otherwise visited... we as human beings persevere with the tools we have: a compass to point us in the proper direction, a road map to show us the path (or in some cases, an alternate route) to our destination, and our intuition.

    Is there a perfect path? We can all hypothesize and plan--from estimated distance between two points & weather reports--contemplating the answers to how much you really should pack. But all the painstaking preparation in the world will not prepare you for the road trip of life. Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

    As much as your life's plan deviates, there are no real obstacles, just detours that take you on grand adventures where you meet new friends along the way. With your spiritual intuition as your Garmin (fully updated, of course); the tools of your trade--books, experience, knowledge; & sheer determination I have no doubt your journey will be full of excitement and success!

    --Stephanie--

    "There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity."-- WASHINGTON IRVING, The Sketch Book

    ReplyDelete

I encourage you to share your thoughts and ideas!